Wednesday, September 10, 2014
Honey-applesauce snack cake with orange glaze
Makes 10 servings
• 1 cup white whole-wheat flour
• 1 teaspoon baking powder
• 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
• 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
• 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
• 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
• 1 egg
• 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
• 1/2 cup honey
• 2 tablespoons butter, melted (or vegetable oil)
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
• 3 tablespoons orange juice, divided
• 1/2 cup powdered sugar, sifted
1. Heat oven to 350 degrees. Coat a 9-inch round cake pan with baking spray.
2. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, pumpkin pie spice and salt.
3. In a separate bowl, whisk together egg, applesauce, honey, butter, vanilla, orange zest and 1 tablespoon orange juice. Pour wet ingredients into dry ingredients and whisk using a gentle folding motion until the batter is uniform.
4. Pour batter into prepared pan. Bake until the top is golden and the cake springs back under light pressure, 25 to 30 minutes. Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then transfer to a rack to cool completely.
5. Make the glaze: In a small bowl, whisk together remaining 2 tablespoons orange juice and powdered sugar. Drizzle over cooled cake.